Friday, September 3, 2010

A Legacy Left

There is more to our family than dogs.  Yes, really.  I am proud to say that my grandparents just celebrated their 66th Wedding Anniversary.  They are the epitome of unconditional love; a relationship filled with mutual respect and admiration.  Their property is as nourishing and strong as they themselves. While Grandma and Grandpa cultivated in all of us cousins(and our parents before us) a sense of loyalty & kindness... taught us how it's always better to give than to receive and the reward of hard work done well... the Ranch itself ingrained a certain sense of freedom and possibilities. 

It was in their fruit orchards that I learned a little dirt under the nails was sometimes a good thing.  It was in a clearing between their orchards that I played my first game of baseball with my cousins.  My job was to be the ghost-runner - it was either that or go waaaay long!  It was in their orchards that I could find serenity and a stillness that didn't exist in my everyday world.  In their orchards, nature flourished and conversations with the Creator flowed with ease.

It was in their orchards that I enjoyed the abundance of fresh fruits, and learned the value of sharing with others.  My grandparents always sent us home with enough fruit to share with friends and neighbors.  Once, when I was in preschool, my grandpa thought to send an entire cherry branch to school with me!  He thought that some kids 'in the city' may have never had the pleasure of picking fresh fruit off a tree before.  The reaction of my fellow preschoolers was priceless.  It was as if the spirit of the Ranch and all that it stood for was embodied in the giving.

It was at Grandma and Grandpa's that we found Lucy(it's up for debate who found whom).  Their home has been, over the years, a rescue station to animals in need.  They have shown us by example how to care for all kinds creatures(including a magpie named Maxie!).  I hope that my grandparents would be proud of the legacy they have created.

7 comments:

  1. And I'm one of those friends blessed by the fruit! Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa for 'sharing the love.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just drop me off in the orchards, that place looks absolutely stunning! I could get used to that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K.- Now you've done it!!! I'm smiling, weeping, laughing and nodding my head in absolute agreement...you really captured Dad and Mom and all that they've built in their 66 years together on the ranch! Way to go, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The feeling of Ryan Hill and all that it encompases couldn't be said better. You just put to words the feelings that every child and adult that has stepped into that magical word as felt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the awesome feedback, guys! I'm glad that the feeling of the Ranch and Grandma and Grandpa came through - I struggled with how to put people of action into mere words. They have always led by example and I found it's not an easy thing to pen! Thanks again for taking the time to check out the blog. Wishing you rays of sunshine ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Heather.
    This was perfect. As the newest Ryan family member, I appreciate everything you have written about Grandma and Grandpa, and it reiterates exactly why I feel so welcomed into this family (and something to aspire to.)
    Love, love, love.
    HPHR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Hill! Welcome to the Legacy. It's so good to have you in the family... you bring a fresh perspective yet fit in seamlessly. I'm thrilled you and Grandma and Grandpa have been able to spend time together & get to know one another better. Special people, all around.

    Love you lots! ~H

    {family bonus points for reading my blog}

    ReplyDelete