Sunday, September 12, 2010

There's No Place Like Mom

Both BIG dogs have been extra needy lately.  I don't blame them.  Acquiring a new family member is a big adjustment.  I heard someone compare getting successive dogs (from the first dog's perspective) to your husband bringing home a new wife.  He eagerly shows her off, telling you both how cute she is.  He expects you to love her as much as he does and, oh, share your things with her too.  Right.  I have wondered if it's like that for dogs, or if it's more like a new sibling coming along.  I mean, it's not like the dogs are the romantic lead - they are more a part of the ensemble cast.   (maybe right now, Lucy is the "guest star"?)

I am an only child.  I hated it growing up, but I cherish it now.  I don't have to share my parents or vie for their attention.  (This also may explain certain narcissistic tendencies, but that could be a whole other blog... AllAboutMe.blogspot.com! Just kidding, folks; don't really look it up)  Digressing, digressing...   It's tricky at times to balance family and schedules and to make sure everyone gets the attention they need.  My kids often remind me that I don't know how hard it can be to have siblings.  They're right.  It must be hard to share parents' attention.  Even in my thirties, I still need my mom and dad.  I hope my kids know that my heart is big enough for everyone; that I don't take "sides" because I'm already in each of their corners.

Indy came over to me last night when I was on the couch.  He affectionately nuzzled his head in the crook of my elbow.  This quickly turned to burying his head under my arm.  I 'talked' to him (this sounds as dumb to write it as it probably does to read it but c'mon, we've all done it, "Whazza matter pal?"  "Who wants a treat?")  I asked him if he was feeling like he wasn't getting enough attention.  As I spoke, he lunged up for my lap.  As he awkwardly tried to turn and finally curled up where he wanted to be, I could feel every muscle in his body relax.   Ken grabbed the camera and snapped this shot...


... I think sometimes, whether canine or human, there's no place like Mom.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness!!!! You're absolutely right! There obviously is no place like Mom!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooooo funny! A must keep picture!
    LY MOM!
    *Allie*

    ReplyDelete
  3. LY2, Allie! Yes, when I finally get around to putting the past two years into photo albums, yes. Yikes. I am quite behind with that!

    ReplyDelete