Friday, October 8, 2010

Simple Gifts

I love books. I had forgotten quite how much I loved to read them until these past two and a half weeks when my family left all things electronic, and got out of dodge.  Okay, so we didn't go out in the back woods, we went to Florida.  We did the theme parks and exhausted ourselves daily.  However, we didn't spend the time watching our usual plethora of television shows, re-runs of movies, or even hop on the Internet.  (Really, does one ever just 'hop' on the Internet and then actually hop off?  With the best of intentions for brevity, I often look up to realize hours have gone by!)

Our family encountered a nasty cold from the plane ride down, then a bout with the flu, then a resurgence of the cold.  Not exactly what any of us had in mind.  We all trooped along(kudos to the kids especially!) most days, but there were a few absolute down days, and more than a handful of half days resulting from the infirmities.  I had brought a book for the plane, which I never read on the way down, and I bought a book at Universal Studios on the Life of Lucille Ball - extraordinarily savvy business woman, that Lucy!  I had no intention of reading on this vacation.  Why would I??  Here we invest in a once-in-a-lifetime trip to SEE and EXPERIENCE all the Disney *magic*, as well as the impressive Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure.   Books were my back-up, my 'when you're bored on the plane' arsenal. 

My dad, who plans his reading materials for Disney trips like I plan out the accommodations, touring plans, and restaurant reservations, finished a mystery/crime book and offered it to me on one of the first days we had sick kids home in the hotel.  Hmmm.  Not what I had planned, but it was nice to have something interesting to read.  Before I knew it, the book had me hooked and I drug it with me poolside with the prevailing healthy kids du jour.  Within three days, I had finished it.  Something I normally don't have the time(or perhaps take the time) to do.  I then started my Love, Lucy book.  Wonderful!  I read it slowly, enjoying being immersed in the glamorous golden ages of  Hollywood and Broadway.  On the plane ride home, I pulled out my original plane choice, Tuck Everlasting.  Finished that and most of the Lucy book.

Now, I know reading an average of a book a week is not a bragging point from an avid reader's view.  More valuable to me was remembering that if I have the time(or take the time), reading is truly one of life's simple gifts.



'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be true
'Tis a gift to have a good book
and a puppy with you.

Thanks to my avid reader, Alex, who can zip through stacks of books in no time flat!

3 comments:

  1. There truly is something wonderful about having read not just one book but many during vacation...or even throughout any given period of time! And, it IS amazing when all those electronic distractions aren't clamoring for our attention. As I enjoy the computer and TV this week, it has occurred to me that I COULD turn them off more often and read more...maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pic of Alex and Lucy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree. Perhaps a challenge for all to plug in less next week?

    Thanks for your comments, it's always a joy to hear from you.

    ~Heather

    PS~ The photo is one of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete