Monday, November 15, 2010

Can I Help?

Yes, I realize that our grammar friends out there would say it's may I help.  However, when it's a dog who wants to be involved it is a question of ability, not permission alone.  We have been blessed with dogs who really, really want to help.  When we are planting things in the yard, our dogs happily begin to dig alongside our handiwork.  When we clean off the patio table for dinner, Lucy has jumped up on it to see what she can do to help.  Whenever I cook, three sets of eyes follow me around the kitchen letting me know that if there's anything they can do (say, help polish off the scraps) they would be more than happy to oblige.  I do believe the dogs are in earnest.  Although they are often guided by there stomachs, they show a genuine desire to be a contributing member of the pack.

The drawback, I suppose, to being offered this help is that the dogs are always in the way.  I would love to utilize their help (if I could just get them some opposable thumbs, I have a mountain of laundry ...) but for now, they tend to get tripped over more than not. 



In the kitchen, ready for action.

If looks could talk!  Jack is such an expressive soul.
We are finally building our over-hang outside.  It has been a plan in the works for years.  When finished, it will provide sheltered out-door living space for both the quadri- and bi-peds of the household.  Here are the extra "helpers"...


Do you know where the on button is?


Are you sure I can't help?

1 comment:

  1. I am just sitting here smiling...your words and the pics have created a perfect comment on that most special relationship that I think dogs often DO have with their people - one of wanting to contribute to what ever the pack needs to do!!! And, I KNOW first hand how those wonderful grand dogs of mine love to HELP ;)

    ReplyDelete