Monday, November 1, 2010

Thankful...


Last year for school, our family made Thankful Calendars.  Starting November first, we wrote down one thing we were thankful for on each day.  The first few days are always easy to fill - God, Country, Family... in fact, it was hard not to rush into the next day's space!  Some days were harder than others, trying to move beyond the obvious.  But when we kept pursuing it, better and more heartfelt thanks began pouring out.  Our attitudes changed just a little bit. 

Sometimes when life is just not going the way you want it - jobs, relationships, over-all plans - it is the best time to count your blessings.  Okay, you don't need to include that crappy job or the current set of burdens you are shouldering, but perhaps you'll find some other 'gratefuls' that you had overlooked or taken for granted.

One of my favorite movies of all times is White Christmas.  When Bing Crosby sings the song, Count Your Blessings, to Rosemary Clooney in the lodge, I melt every time.   Can't you hear him now...

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds

If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

This year, I can't print out my Thankful Calendar fast enough.  (Even as I'm writing this my son, Nick, said "eewww, Lucy has worms again!")   I am in need of shifting my focus from life's current circumstances to all the blessings that I can claim.  It's more easily said than done, but more easily done when you have a Thankful Calendar and you take it one day at a time. 

What are you thankful for?

3 comments:

  1. YOU! That's what I'm thankful for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In thinking about family, thankfulness runs through the quality of our memories." a quote from Grandpa Jim this morning as he talked about our family, past and present.

    ReplyDelete