Sunday, December 12, 2010

What's in There?

Lucy has taken to sleeping, stretched out in full Labrador imitation, in front of our entertainment center.  The first time I saw her there, I didn't think much of it.  But by the third or fourth time I was curious.  I got down on my hands and knees next to her.  She woke up delighted to see me and promptly switched to Pointer imitation and 'told' me why she had been staking out that spot. 

There was something in there.  My first thought was that someone had tossed a piece of food to one of the dogs and it landed in the entertainment center.  Lucy is the queen of scraps - neither Jack nor Indy challenge her on anything but the primo treats(meat scraps, certain cheeses... they're a bit of dog foodies)  It made sense, in a funny way, that she was guarding it until she could get to it (or until it came out??).   With all the commotion, Indy came over to check things out (maybe it's fancy cheese!)



As the search became more intense, I became a little unnerved.  You see, we live close enough to a forest that we have been having unwanted visitors lately.  (think: Ratatouille)  All outside so far, at least until we brought the Christmas decorations up from the crawl space to discover last year's gift wrap had random chunks missing.  The tissue paper looked like someone had make snowflakes out of it, two little square holes at a time(eeew!)  So my anticipation grew with the dogs'. 

My trusty rat-trapper in shining armor went to check things out for himself.  (Thank you, dearest rat-trapper!  PS~ Your hair is gorgeous)


Ah-hah!  We humans breathed a sigh of relief, while the big dogs, perhaps a bit disappointed it wasn't a rat, lost interest.  Lucy, however, said "thank you very much", grabbed the tennis ball from Ken and leapt into my arms.


I knew it was in there all along.

Lucy has since returned to sleeping on the couch or in front of the fireplace.

1 comment: