Monday, March 28, 2011

Who's There?

A few weeks ago, on a beautiful sunny day, we had a visitor.  Well, it wasn't our visitor really, it was our neighbor's.  We never really got a good look at him {he was on the other side of the fence}, but the dogs sure tried.  No one was quite as intent on discovering the visitor's identity as was Lucy.




At first our dogs were friendly & curious.  I was hoping they'd matured a bit from their polar mood swings of the past: either desperately wanting to be friends with any new dog and over-licking, smelling, and general spazzing out thus scaring potential friends away {Other dog, rolling eyes, "weirdos"} or the I-don't-know-you-who-are-you-go-away-now agitated bark-slash-growl.  They were fine this beautiful day, until I came out to snap some (rather bad) pictures.  Perhaps it was the "protective" instinct.  But they all three began to bark, growl, snap and snarl at this poor, sweet thing on the other side of the fence.

The visitor dog simply sniffed.  He was trying hard to be an affable visitor.  He minded his manners and overlooked the first several barrage of dog insults{perhaps they were speaking to someone else}  But after being yelled at repeatedly by strange dogs for no reason, one tends to respond.  And so he did.  A few short barks and he was brought inside.

Dear Mr. Friendly Visitor, I am sorry.  I wanted to be cordial.  Welcoming, even.  I tried to tell my dogs that you were being a model canine, but they were a bit worked up.  I don't know exactly what they said, but I could tell by the tone it wasn't civil.  They really aren't that bad once you get to know them... they can even be too friendly sometimes.  Anyway, I'm sorry we got you into trouble and that you had to go inside on such a beautiful day.  Should you visit again, we will most certainly work on our hospitality skills.
Sincerely,  Heather & two and a half acrimonious dogs

1 comment:

  1. That is soooo funny! I love the pictures:D
    *Allie*

    ReplyDelete