Friday, April 29, 2011

And Sew It Goes...

I finished it!  Project To Save a Couch is complete.  After multiple turns of the fabric (does it go back to back or front to back, and where does the batting go?!)  my spatial reasoning finally caught up and I was ready to sew.  The rest of the project mirrored nearly every other sewing endeavor I've ever attempted.

First things first:  Set up sewing machine.  My aforementioned spatial reasoning challenges threatened to severely stunt my sewing career before it ever took off simply by the confusing task of threading the machine.  This has gotten easier over time.

Second:  Decipher fabric layout, as noted above.  Once everything is matched up and laid out, many people would say... {Third : Pins. }

Here is where I have trouble.  I am, by nature, quite impatient.  It seems the more one trys to overcome this vice, the more impatient one becomes.  One of my favorite film quotes is from Evan Almighty when Morgan Freeman, as God, says, "If someone prays for patience, do you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient?"  I have been avoiding praying for patience for this precise reason.

The idea of tediously pinning together fabric, only to have to unpin the fabric rather soon afterward boggles my mind.  This is not a step for the impatient.  I know the practical reasoning: it holds the fabric in place so you don't sew crookedly.  Sewing without pins is kind of like going out to Red Robin and ordering the Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich when you find that half way through the sandwich, the bun-to-meat ratio is way off.  You're either left holding a nearly empty bun, or contrarily you've got a whole chicken breast that you're trying to hold onto with a postage stamp spot of bun.  Either way, you've likely dripped teriyaki sauce all down your sleeves.  {maybe it's just me?}  I get it: pins help the fabrics stay together so that you'll end up with even results.  But even results have never been my thing, probably because of my unwillingness to take the time to do things the "right" way.

Recently my children took their yearly standardized tests.  As I reviewed the answers they had missed, one problem in particular stood out to me.  I actually laughed out loud.  It was a math problem, which simply asked, "Which of the following would you estimate?"  The choices were A) the distance between planets  B) the measure of shelves for a bookcase  C) the measure of sugar in a recipe  or D) {well, I can't remember D... but it was similar to B & C}  My child being my child, upon seeing there was no E) all of the above, picked B) the measure of shelves for a bookcase.  The answer they were looking for was A.  I had to laugh at their lack of creativity.  Clearly, these are pin-users.  And clearly, those of us who can estimate bookshelves, sugar, and whatever D was, must be more creatively evolved.  Of course, don't look too closely at our work. 

So, without pinning, my next step in any project is line up the fabric and pedal to the metal!  This works swimmingly for a while.  Usually at this stage I am thinking to myself, "Why don't I sew more often?"  or "Maybe I should go into business sewing things!"




Then, one of two things happens.  Scenario #1, I realize I've sewn the whole thing entirely crooked and need to rip out the stitching and start all over.  Curse words ensue {although I'm really working on it!}.  I briefly ponder the validity of pinning.


Today, we went with Scenario #2:


I really, truly, from the depths of my soul abhor bobbins.  {They ricochet the sentiment.}  It should be so simple.  Bobbin goes in bobbin holder thingee which fits like a puzzle piece into the sewing machine.  There's even a wordless picture showing us precisely how to put the bobbin and thread together.

Theirs

Mine.
Looked right to me...

...but somehow it wasn't.  After working for ten minutes to no avail, I was seriously contemplating calling the 16 year old neighbor who's in Home Ec. for help. {I did manage to keep the expletives to an enthusiastic "shoot", though}  I squeaked out a last minute prayer - not for patience - but for a solution.  

Not a moment to soon {perhaps in acknowledgement of my G-rated curb on cursing} the snarled mess of threads miraculously undid itself and once again, I was in business.  Incidentally, whatever business that was, it was most definitely not the sewing business. 

A pinner I shall never be.  I think I'm alright with that.  Just don't look too closely at my work.





Time to test it out.  Jack wasn't sure this wasn't a set-up.

I'm confused.  Usually this is a NO-NO. 
Are you testing me?  Did I just loose?


I should be down THERE.

Really.  I can't even look you in the eye.

Jack kept jumping down and had to be repeatedly coaxed back up.  But I don't think it was the new cover, after a while he seemed to like that.

You're sure? 

Wow.  This blanket does feel nice.


Okay, I like it.

Wanna see my impression of a Great Dane?


 
Good boy, Jack.

Folks, are you ready for the weekend?  I am! 
Have a great one, to pinners and non-pinners alike!
~Heather


4 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve! So glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have blogged about bobbin-blues last week too, glad I'm not alone ;) The cover looks great, job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look(s) on Jacks face! It's so stinkin' funny=D
    *Allie*

    ReplyDelete